Transfer of Equity - Advice and Information

 A transfer of equity is what solicitors call a change made to the ownership of a deed of a house.

You could be adding your husband or wife to the deed after marriage, removing a friend’s name after buying them out their share, or even changing ownership entirely (such as if you transfer ownership to your children). These are all transfers of equity.

  1. We’ll talk through your needs and provide you with a fixed quote.
  2. Once you accept the quote, we’ll assign a solicitor. They will call and send you all the necessary paperwork immediately.
  3. Simply return the paperwork signed, complete with your certified copies of ID and proof of address. Once all parties on the deed have given permission – including the lender – a deed of transfer will be granted.
  4. Documents will be signed by parties coming onto or leaving the deeds.
  5. Your solicitor will complete the appropriate documents at the Land Registry, and will register additional items.

Any conditions can be placed on a transfer to protect your interest. For example, you give your children your property, but make sure they cannot sell it while you still live there. Or, you may add a family member to the deeds and need to make sure the money you have already paid goes to you upon sale, with the rest being divided equally.

We can talk you through the transfer of equity process – and your solicitor will be able to advise you on the best way to legally enforce your terms.

No. You can have your ID documents certified locally and sent to us, and we will complete the whole process without you having to visit. Let us know if you would prefer a local office and we will do our best to help.